Saturday, October 16, 2010

Hekpoort or is that 'cycling hill hell'


What was I thinking? Apparently I was feeling very brave the moment I hit the 'enter' button.


I'd already had this conversation with hubby. Hekpoort will always be there - I can tackle it any year. Doesn't mean I have to do it this year. I'm clearly braver than that conversation.

This is a race I really didn't talk about last year. Why?? Well, Hekpoort conquered me and not vice versa. The first and only time I got a lift back to the finish by paramedics in their off-road 4 X 4 (not quite an ambulance, but close) They checked my sugar levels as I was on the verge of vomiting and felt dizzy. Not good. I tried being on the back on the sweeper vehicle - not a good idea as I was green and the other poor cyclists didn't feel like been thrown-up on. I cannot blame them. Hence the lift I got back. A quick call to the husband to tell him not to panic when he saw me stepping out of a vehicle basically used for emergency type responses.


Apparently, I can't even find photos for this race - clearly not a good memory.

After last weeks race and while resting at home.  Hubby asked me how I felt about Hekpoort - I didn't feel good.  That 'mountain' is constantly in my thoughts.  I am really trying to throw positive thoughts it's way.  Dreading it and fearing it will not do my race any good.

Some positive thoughts...

Hekpoort is earlier in the race this year and not near the end.
I am thinner.
I am stronger.
I am on my road bike.
I did get up Sterkfontein in the Dome 2 Dome (it took a while but I did get up).  Hekpoort is a lot shorter but is steeper. 

I will not panic this year and end up taking energy gels to close to each other.  I am happy with my nutrition during races and know what to do this time.  :-)

I am going to give it my best shot. 
 



1 comment:

Carine said...

michelle from the hub! i bumped onto your blog by accident, and what an inspiring story! see on on the pinkdrive startline on sunday :D