Friday, September 25, 2009

Nerves, nerves, nerves....

Apparently I don't have much to distract me today from the race tomorrow. I'm just a ball of nerves. There wasn't even a goodie bag to offer some form of distraction of ooh's and aah's. Now I've cycled 40km's and I've cycled 22km's so you would think I would have NO problems with a 33km but I do.... What I totally forgot is that there is a bigger race happening on Sunday -hmmmm, and that is the race everyone seems to be in. When I collected my number this morning, the lady handing out the numbers had all the numbers organised according to our surnames - not very big piles I tell you. Does this mean another teeny field of cyclists tomorrow. Does this mean I'm being chased by the ambulance and sweeper vehicles.....it is becoming clear why my nerves are shot. I didn't enjoy having those vehicles right behind in the last race. I guess my best bet would be to try and forget that they are actually there. Also on the 'To Do List' was to get my pedals sorted out. At the last training session the left one broke. All the shops we tried today did not have parts to fix it which meant getting a whole new set of pedals. These don't come cheap as they are Shimano SPD pedals. I also wanted to get a cycling shirt that fitted - no more 'hoping like hell' that the fat will disappear promptly!! Yes, I still wake-up some mornings hoping that a miracle has taken place and that 'poof' I'm thin!! My favourite cycling shop had cycling shirts on special - woohoooo- and I managed to pick one up at a bargain. I love the colours (see pic above). Now I have the all important pockets at the back where I can safely tuck my Sport Gels. And trust that one of the more expensive gels on the market is the one that is palatable and works, hence, my decision to stick with it for now even if the budget groans a bit. Some good news: I got my baby back. My Nikon is all ready and in working order. She definitely deserved some TLC. :-)) Here's hoping for a good race tomorrow. Have a super weekend everyone. Mich

2 comments:

Hanlie said...

I love those colors too! You'll be just fine... don't worry about the last vehicles. You're doing something amazing and I've told my husband many times how much I admire your grit and determination.

Scarlet Simple said...

You will do great! Try not to worry too much and do your best!